To download the Welsh Cup for Clubs rules, click here.
The links below enable you to download the Welsh Cup for Clubs Score Sheets:
- Home Team Score Sheet, click here.
- Away Team Score Sheet, click here.
- Home and Away Teams, click here,
The draw for the Welsh Cup for Clubs took place during the National Singles Championship at Panteg House, with representatives from each club involved.
|SWBRC – PS||Drawn 1||Away Club First Round|
|WITHDRAWN||Caerleon RFC PC||Drawn 2||Home Club First Round|
|Monkstone PC||Drawn 3||Away Club First Round|
|WITHDRAWN||Pontyclun PC||Drawn 4||Home Club First Round|
Day 1 Semi-Finals – Saturday, 15th July 2023. – NOT REQUIRED,
- Encounter 1 – Morning: Caerleon RFC PC v SWBRC-PS
- Encounter 2 – Morning: Pontyclun PC v Monkstone PC
- Encounter 1 – Afternoon: SWBRC-PS v Caerleon RFC PC
- Encounter 2 – Afternoon: Monkstone PC v Pontyclun PC
Upon completion, the results must be reported to the President at the earliest opportunity, who will organise a draw to confirm the Home Team for the Final. Each Team will be immediately notified of the result of the draw.
As two teams have unfortunately withdrawn from the competition, the semi-finals are not required, and SWBRC-PS and the Monkstone PC will progress to the final.
Day 2 Final – Sunday, 16th July 2023.
The winning Club of each semi-final will progress to the Final.
The Final will be run on a home-and-away basis and will comprise two encounters:
- Encounter 1 – Morning: Monkstone PC v SWBRC – PS.
- Encounter 2 – Afternoon: SWBRC – PS v Monkstone PC.
The winning club will become the Welsh Cup for Clubs Champion for the current membership year.
The following Clubs have registered their interest:
- Caerleon RFC PC
- Monkstone PC
- Pontyclun RFC PC
- SWBRC PS
Proposed Schedule of Play.
Due to the limited availability in the playing calendar, the following weekend has been set for the competition:
Day 1 Semi-Finals – Saturday, 15th July 2023.
Day 2 Final – Sunday, 16th July 2023.
The draw for the competition will take place at the National Singles Championship on Sunday, 25th June.
A representative from each club will draw a number and then a card to confirm if they are a Home or Away Team for the initial encounter.
- Semi-Final One – Team 1 v Team 2
- Semi-Final Two – Team 3 v Team 4
Each semi-final will be run on a home-and-away basis and will comprise two encounters:
- Encounter 1 – Morning: The Home Team’s Club.
- Encounter 2 – Afternoon: The Away Team’s Club.
The winning Club of each semi-final will progress to the Final, which will again run on a Home and Away encounter.
Each club team can consist of 6-8 players under the following conditions:
- The teams of 6 players must possess at least 1 player of the opposite sex to the rest of the team;
- The teams of 7-8 players must possess at least 2 players of the opposite sex to the rest of the team.
All the participants must be licensed with the Club they represent at the time of the competition and may not, under any circumstances, play for another club during the course of the competition.
The games for the Welsh Cup for Clubs are played in the following format:
- Five (5) open singles and one (1) between the designated female players,
- Two (2) open doubles and one (1) mixed double,
- One (1) open triple, one (1) mixed triple.
Each encounter consists of eleven games played over three (3) rounds.
Follow this link for the Rules for Welsh Cup for Club. This will be updated when required.
Ideally, the Welsh Club Champions shall be decided upon the total number of points won. However, should there be a tie on the number of wins then Article 22 detailed in the published Rules European Cup For Clubs, shall be used, which states that:
The following formula will be applied to decide the results:
- The number of Match Points, if two or more teams are tied, then:
- Game Points between the tied teams.
- Points Difference between the tied teams.
- Points Difference between all the teams in the group.
All results must be relayed to the WPA Executive using the official Registration/Score Sheet.
European Cup for Clubs
Although the Welsh Cup for Clubs is an inter-club competition, there is a European aspect. The WPA will ask the winning Club if they would like to participate in the European Cup for Clubs, held in France at the end of the year. This invitation is NOT a compulsory requirement for the winning Club and may be declined.
The European Cup for Clubs is organised by the Confédération Européenne de Pétanque (CEP). Click here to find out more.
Welsh Cup for Clubs Roll of Honour
Welsh Cup for Clubs
2021 Not held.
2020 Caerleon RFC Pétanque Club
2019 Monkstone Pétanque Club
2018 Caerleon RFC Pétanque Club
2017 Wenvoe Pétanque Club
2016 Pontyclun Pétanque Club
2015 The Wheatsheaf Pétanque Club
2014 The Monkstone Inn Pétanque Club
2013 The Wheatsheaf Pétanque Club
2012 The Wheatsheaf Pétanque Club
2011 Sir Henry Morgan's Pétanque Club
2010 The Wheatsheaf Pétanque Club
2009 Monkstone Pétanque Club
2008 Monkstone Pétanque Club
2007 The Wheatsheaf Pétanque Club